POSTED: January 12, 2016
POSITION: FORUM ADMINISTRATOR – PEACEOPOLY
APPLICATIONS DUE: January 22, 2016
POSITION TYPE: CONTRACT
LOCATION: NIGERIA / VIRTUAL POSITION
Youth for Technology Foundation (YTF) believes technology has a role to play in democracy. PeaceOpoly, YTF’s civic engagement social accountability program, was designed to build people’s knowledge and understanding of the broad concepts underpinning a democratic society such as the respective roles and responsibilities of citizens, government, political and special interests, the mass media. The strategy aims to hold political leaders accountable for their promises and to educate youth on their civic responsibilities in an effort to hold peaceful, free and fair elections. We believe that an informed electorate is empowered through knowledge and understanding to exercise their democratic rights and responsibilities fully, and to use the electoral process to choose representatives who will work on their behalf to peacefully resolve differences of opinion over the resources, systems and structures of the future state.
The Forum Administrator will build community and increase civic participation through YTF’s PeaceOpoly Citizen Forum, an online community. He or she will be responsible for monitoring the activity on the citizen forum while ensuring that all community members adhere to the forum rules and provides online support to members. The Forum Administrator will implement YTF’s Online Community Moderator strategy for PeaceOpoly, monitoring and moderating user-generated content to ensure the online community is maintained as a safe and fun environment. This role works closely with YTF’s country team and the social media coordinator to ensure a safe and legal community environment, promote excellent civic service and help to cultivate a strong community around the brand.
- Welcome new members and encourage introductions.
- Lightly facilitate and encourage broad and inclusive participation on the forum.
- Generally monitor announcements and discussions.
- Encourage participants and community groups to share local announcements, news, questions, ideas, recommendations and more.
- When forum discussion slows, encourage discussion by “seeding” the forum with relevant local topic and questions, or find and post community announcements. Maintain a neutral, positive voice in the forum at all times and to professionally moderate and manage heated discussions and conflicts.
- Work with the YTF software development and social media team to keep the forum running smoothly while promoting the interest and participation within the Forum; this may be through challenges, exercises or other activities to increase the creative response of members.
- To promote the Forum and help in the recruitment of new members.
- To keep the Forum active and the conversation flowing by promoting discussion throughout the entire Forum.
- Implement the online community moderation strategy coordinating with stakeholders across the organization to ensure its effectiveness and provide superior quality of customer service and support to our community with the help of various communication tools.
- Review and moderate all user-generated content and user profiles (pre, post or re-active moderation) within Forums, Comments, Images and Videos.
- Service Community Admin accounts, processing emails and complaints and escalating when necessary
- Produce reports on relevant moderation statistics, issues and outcomes.
- Regularly feedback gained from community moderation into the Community team.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the YTF’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the project;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly and equally.
- Knowledge demonstrated by proven experience with online community forums.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, and a proactive approach.
- Good with people, friendly disposition, patient and a good listener.
- Willingness to seek out and support diverse voices to increase public participation.
- Willingness to learn or experience having administered the basic technology functions of the forum (this is not a “technology” role, though technical aptitude is helpful).
- Working operations knowledge and understanding of online community platform moderating tools (Forums, Blogs, Photo Uploads, Commenting, etc.)
- Ability to effectively communicate information and report statistics.
- Team player, detail focused and reliable.
- Good technical understanding and ability to pick up new tools quickly.
Time and Technology Expectations:
- Must have regular and reliable online access most days and evenings.
- Spend at least 1 hour a day monitoring the forum; additional time may be required on rare occasions or when there is a problem topic or a serious rule violation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Development Studies, or a related field.
- A good understanding and prior experience managing community forums (even as a volunteer).
- Experience fostering community action and problem-solving in a neutral facilitator/convener role
- Experience with online facilitation and inclusive community engagement.
- High level of fluency in English- written and verbal.
Please email interest and a copy of your CV to email@example.com by Friday, January 22, 2016. You may include links on your CV to online forums you have moderated in the past. To learn more about YTF, visit: www.youthfortechnology.org