Posted: May 1, 2014
Position – Business Development Manager, Private sector engagement (Nigeria)
Applications Due: 5PM, September 1, 2014
Youth for Technology Foundation (YTF)
Our mission is to create enriched communities in which the appropriate use of technology affords opportunities for marginalized youth and women.
Founded in 2000, Youth for Technology Foundation (YTF) partners with low-income communities in the U.S. and with rural communities in the developing countries to create new learning and life opportunities for youth and women using appropriate technology. Focusing on education, entrepreneurship and individual empowerment, YTF works with individuals and communities to identify barriers to success, design and implement sustainable solutions, build collaborative networks, engage business and government, and find a path to better futures for families and communities.
Business Development Manager Duties & Responsibilities
The education – to- employment journey is fraught with obstacles. There are 3 distinct intersections; enrolling in postsecondary education, (2). Building skills, and (3). Finding a job. For over 14 years, YTF has delivered exceptional training programs that prepare young people for the world of work or entrepreneurship. YTF is expanding our outreach and programs through YTF Academy and to support this effort we are seeking a Business Development Manager to enhance our private sector outreach and partnership-building efforts with the private sector.
This position is a full-time (40 hours/week equivalent). YTF welcomes applicants who have recent experience in building private sector support (e.g., donors, sponsors, underwriters, vendors, etc.) for conferences, exhibitions, fairs, and festivals, in the not-for-profit, private &/or sectors.
The successful candidate must have demonstrable interests in:
- youth development issues with particular emphasis on youth employability skills and entrepreneurship
- curriculum development, particularly in the area of working with diverse employers, to determine what positions they are looking to fill and to design training content to equip young people for those positions.
- creating a successful education-to-employment system with new incentives and structures.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Building YTF Academy internship program by identifying and engaging private sector companies as internship hosts
- Identifying potential business/sponsor relationship opportunities & potential partners
- Screening potential business/sponsor relationships through analysis of market strategies, contractual requirements, potential, and financials; evaluation of alternatives & options
- Design monitoring and evaluation processes to aid the systematic gathering and dissemination of data regarding students after they graduate from YTF Academy – job placement rates and career trajectory five years out.
- Supervisor: YTF Executive Director
- Supervises: No supervisory responsibilities
YTF offers a competitive salary plus commission-based compensation commensurate with experience.
Applicant Credentials & Qualifications
The successful candidate must be committed to YTF’s mission, goals & programs. Also, the successful candidate must be committed to serving as a positive representative for the organization.
- Education – A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Business Administration, Business or Economic Development, Nonprofit Management, or Public Administration is required.
- Work History – A minimum of 10 years related work experience & a minimum of 5 years experience as a business developer or sponsorship developer for multi-stakeholder settings (e.g., NGO, private, public, etc.) private commerce & industry, public agencies & institutions, nongovernmental/ nonprofit organizations is required.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills in English & one local language
- Excellent abilities to engage and recruit diverse individuals, groups & stakeholders
- Demonstrated critical-thinking & good-reasoning abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of Nigerian business communities, markets, stakeholder groups, etc.
- Proven track record of business development &/or sponsor development
- Resourceful and well organized
- Comfortable working with all media formats (e.g., newspapers, radio, social media, TV, etc.)
- Sales & promotion
- Selling to Customer Needs
Please submit a cover letter describing why you believe yourself to be the best qualified person for this position & goals for the position if selected, and a copy of your current curriculum vitae or resume via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Application for Business Development Manager – Private Sector Engagement” in the subject line. No calls, faxes, or office visits will be accepted.
Due to high applicant volume, YTF regrets that we not respond to all applicants, and only those candidates invited to interview will be contacted.
All applications must be received by: 5PM, September 1, 2014
YTF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.