POSTED: January 12, 2016
POSITION: SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR – PEACEOPOLY
APPLICATIONS DUE: January 22, 2016
POSITION TYPE: CONTRACT
LOCATION: NIGERIA / VIRTUAL POSITION
Youth for Technology Foundation (YTF) believes technology has a role to play in democracy. PeaceOpoly, YTF’s civic engagement social accountability program, was designed to build people’s knowledge and understanding of the broad concepts underpinning a democratic society such as the respective roles and responsibilities of citizens, government, political and special interests, the mass media. The strategy aims to hold political leaders accountable for their promises and to educate youth on their civic responsibilities in an effort to hold peaceful, free and fair elections. We believe that an informed electorate is empowered through knowledge and understanding to exercise their democratic rights and responsibilities fully, and to use the electoral process to choose representatives who will work on their behalf to peacefully resolve differences of opinion over the resources, systems and structures of the future state.
The Social Media Coordinator – PeaceOpoly will be responsible for the further development and implementation this strategy using YTF’s social media platforms for PeaceOpoly, specifically Twitter and Facebook. He or she will be tasked with managing a large complex multi-media information education and communications project on civic engagement from a social media/social marketing perspective.
- Implement YTF’s social media marketing strategy for PeaceOpoly. This will include content strategy, developing brand awareness and ensuring platform registrations.
- Provide technical and capacity development advice to the Program Director engaged in civic awareness raising activities.
- Advise on a wide range of civic engagement issues, including strengthening of civil society, designing civic awareness strategies, youth outreach, ensuring a greater role for women in the transition process, and promoting inclusive dialogue and consultation.
- Create and maintain PeaceOpoly’s social media networks (Twitter, Facebook), develop coordination mechanisms and provide advisory and technical support, as needed, to key stakeholders.
- Oversee the development of a sub-strategy on the use of internet and social media for civic education and participation activities.
- Grow PeaceOpoly’s user/fan base following five primary objectives: Growth of likes, reach, engagement and registration on platform.
- Good understanding of civics and social accountability in Nigeria.
Manage PeaceOpoly social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities including:
- Curate relevant content to reach YTF’s audience.
- Create, curate and managing all published content (images, videos and written).
- Monitor, listen and respond to users in a social way.
- Conduct online advocacy.
- Design, create and manage promotions and social ad campaigns.
- Become an advocate for YTF in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Develop and expand community outreach efforts.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the YTF’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the project.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly and equally.
- Knowledge and expertise in democratic governance, electoral assistance and democratization.
- Strong technical knowledge of the field of civic education, and a general knowledge of cross-cutting democratic governance issues.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to foster networks and partnerships, and good working knowledge of information and technology.
- Displays analytical judgment and demonstrated ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities. Demonstrated ability to multitask under pressure and to meet strict deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Communications, Development Studies, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years specialized experience in international development, with at least two years’ experience; managing complex governance, communication, civic awareness, or electoral education projects.
- A good understanding of the regional dynamics and the political, social and cultural history of Nigeria.
- The candidate should have experience in providing practical advice to policy makers; be able to work well with counterparts in government, electoral management bodies, civil society, political parties, and the donor community; and know how to contribute to building national capacity for development.
- High level of fluency in English- written and verbal
Please email interest and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22, 2016.. Also submit any examples of / links to social media work you may have done in the past. To learn more about YTF, visit: www.youthfortechnology.org