- 70% of the population is under 30 years old
- By 2050, the number of children under age 18 in Kenya will increase by 57%
- Economic reports are forecasting that Kenya is poised to be among the fastest-growing economies in the East Africa region
- Has 100% wireless coverage and 98% cell phone ownership rate
- Only 6% of engineers in Kenya are women
- Wezesha Digital Village: Wezesha is Swahili for “empower.” This is the focus and ultimate goal of our digital village, which sustains a range of programs from digital literacy to mobile and software application development as part of YTF Academy.
- YTF also implements the following auxiliary programs in Uganda
- Africa Code Week
- Girls in ICT Day
YTF Programs in Kenya:
What’s a Digital Village?
This is what we call our training centers (officially “Community Technology and Learning Centers (CTLCs)”. They take a different form in every country, based on the grassroots organizations we partner with and what types of training programs the community needs. In each country, we have one flagship Digital Village, though YTF works more broadly across each country delivering programs in partnership with other organizations.
In most cases, it is an established location that provides hardware (like computers), employs local citizens as trainers, and hosts training programs most relevant to that community. They can be franchised to serve new communities.
Back to Where We Work >